Originally Posted by ultramarina
I'm not a fan of sociobiological explanations for human behavior, in case you can't tell. As I like to say to my husband, mammals also eat their young, but nobody goes around justifying THAT.

Socio-evolutionary explanations often come off as ad hoc rationalizations anyway. Where's the causal link? Isn't adaptability supposed to be a key strength of the human species?

Useful and practical information and devices for the prevention of unwanted pregnancy dates back at least to 1850 BC (Kahun Papyrus), but here in the US dissemination of such information was considered obscenity and punishable by law as recently as the 20th century, and distributing prophylactics to unwed couples was a crime as recently as the 1970s... all because of a Victorian style moral code, which traces its roots to a medieval Europe suffering catastrophic population loss. The top layer of society adapted by hunting down midwives (the keepers and distributors of knowledge relating to pregnancy prevention) as witches, though they did keep such knowledge for themselves in the elite (just ask Casanova).

Many significant cultures recognized the sexes as equals, and had relaxed views about sexuality, even to the point of incorporating sex into their religious observances. But history is written by the victors, and that's not the information the Texas school board wants you to see.