Originally Posted by cricket3
One thing I used In trying to help her see the situation more clearly was pointing out ways in which girl X mistreated other girls. It was easier for DD to see abuse of others than to see herself in the victim role.
I was going to say the same. Interestingly enough, I've seen my more socially aware child fall into unpleasant relationships like this a lot more often than my other one. Possibly it is b/c she is more of an extrovert, but she seems more willing to trim herself to suit others and less willing to risk social ostracism by being assertive or blunt with others.

Mine has become more aware of her own willingness to overlook problems with her one friend who is a bit like this over the years, though, and will freely admit that she only hangs out with her b/c she is bored and has no one else with whom to hang out when she does choose to be around this other child. I think that some of seeing her be rude to dd's other friends has soured dd on the relationship over the years. She still seems to be able to tolerate being condescended to and other things that really tick me off, but she really doesn't care for things like the other child saying, "I don't like you; you should leave" to dd's other friends.