The "tomato staking" I mentioned in the other thread (and I have not read that book and have no intention of reading it, just borrowed the idea from a thread in a homeschooling forum) is the opposite of our normal. Normal is you play computer games, watch tv, play with your toys all day and the exception is you sit with mamma a little bit for time-out. The tomato staking is you sit with mamma all day and the exception is you get short periods of doing what you want while I watch. I've seemed to have been trying various styles of "grounded" lately. Really, this is the third original consequence I've tried and all three turned out to be another form of grounded after I tried it. Mom says when I was a kid I would ask for a spanking over "grounded" because I would say, "would you just spank me it's over quicker".

Another thing I've talked with my husband about discipline because I've said, "really the kids are very good kids" and he said, "yeah, I wouldn't bother correcting every they do wrong if they weren't such good kids". Just thinking about it twists my mind up in knots.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar