Originally Posted by Bostonian
When I have been asked why my eldest child is a year young for his grade, I say we put him in a private KG at age 4, because he was reading fluently and we thought he was ready for KG. This is a true, non-defensive statement, unlike many of the things I have read on this thread. Society needs to be more realistic about differences in intelligence and their implications, and clarity rather than obfuscation by the parents of gifted children can spread such realism.

I agree with what you are saying, but in the era of Tiger Mom it doesn't always work out that way. I certainly had non-defensive conversations with people that asked earnestly and kindly. But those that approach on the playground/park/PTA meeting with a snotty "So, I heard you got (DS) moved up to 2nd because the 1st grade teacher is too boring" or "Janie reads far better than (DS) so why did you think he should get to move up if she didn't?" (real statements, both) it's hard to remain calm and carry on. People who want to understand my DS, or who care about the system or need info for their own child are those I'm more than open with.

But the super cheery-yet-vicious questions are not worth my time.