so thanks for all of the feedback again, and good luck to those facing this issue!

I have to say--it went just fine. I guess I sort of, ummm...stretched the truth a little by saying the school suggested it...but the school was extremely supportive of it. The reception has generally been just fine--(or at least they are good actors). I think the kids weren't surprised either, (even though I think it is a very rare thing here). One woman who subs in the middle school was sort of open-mouthed incredulous (how on earth could a kid need more challenge than what is offered, are you crazy sort of look) but other than that it has been fine. It was a different dynamic though since we are new so less competitive. I predict it will be a different experience with dd5 starting kindy. (who I think could prob. benefit from a skip but she is more complicated)

Dd has finally made a great friend in our neighborhood--sadly she is only going into 5th. (dd wishes she could skip into 7th--and this is a kid who probably could easily skip. dd finally has someone to talk about books with--just funny that she is younger!) This girl also has an older brother who will be in 7th like dd--the mom has been very nice and supportive. Brother will be in the advanced content classes with dd and seems like a nice kid.

soooo...that is our update.