Our dd entered preschool at age 4 not really conversing (we had asked to have a speech therapist help her) but she could read anything in any book she was given.
She was reading the nursery rhymes that were tacked to the wall and other parents were talking about it! How do I know this? The director of the school called me into her office after exactly one month and told me. She seemed incredulous...I told her that our dd had been reading since she was about 2. She would read street signs, etc.
When we suspected that maybe she had memorized words we would give her a book and she would proceed to read that. She unlocked the code of reading early on. We always read to her and she started to "follow" the words with her finger.
She's extremely bright and her behavior reflects it, she's not like other children.
She's now in 5th grade and has had her share of "issues" through her school years.
She goes to a private Catholic school, no counselor (yet, but soon one will be hired). We've gotten phone calls every year for various behaviors....it's normal to us now.
Strap in, people HATE it when a child is different!
The frustrating part is that we don't have any of these behaviors of frustration at home, only manifests at school.....;(.
She's an only child.
Like bxylzy, our dd is an explorer, questions everything, gets really dirty, is hands on......she loves to learn!
It's a gift that keeps on giving.......and I think she's blessed!