Originally Posted by sweetpeas
Originally Posted by Bostonian
Originally Posted by sweetpeas
I am SO SICK of hearing "you have to let kids just be kids". It instantly makes me defensive, although I always just smile and nod in agreement.

I want to scream out "what are you implying? I do NOT do flashcards. I do NOT do workbooks. I do NOT use any kind of training program. My kids ARE kids."

You are indirectly doing what you dislike others doing, making accusations of "hothousing" based on little evidence. I have used workbooks (Singapore Math) and training programs (EPGY) with my children. They like to work on them a few times a week, and they still have plenty of time to go to the playground and play at home with each other.

I sincerely apologize if what I posted offended you. My intent was not to make any kind of commentary on hothousing. I don't think using workbooks IS hothousing, so I'm not quite understanding the connection being made here.

My point was, I feel like when people say I am not letting my kids be kids they are implying that I must have them locked-down 24-7 doing academic stuff, that I never let them play or do what THEY want to do. My point was that I rarely even DO academic stuff with them - for example I don't use flashcards or workbooks.

So I don't quite understand how my post might have been interpreted as accusing anyone of hothousing. But my mind was very self-centered when I wrote it, so I apologize for my carelessness in my word choices. My hope is to support all parents here, and I appreciate the support I get in return. I'm very sorry I made anyone feel bad with my post. That definitely wasn't my intent!

I hope you can forgive me. You'd think with me being so sensitive, I'd be more sensitive to others in this regard!

I'm not upset, it's just that one can do some structured academic work with young children and still think of them as kids.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell