sweatpeas-
I think you should just enjoy the ride. How lucky all of us are who have great kids! I have a small family and have lost almost all of my relatives- so I really appreciate my husband and kids and value them very highly. Don't ever let anyone take away the joy you find in your kids. There are no guarantees in life; you must enjoy them now and not hide it!!! I also think it OK to ask others who care about you and your family to share in your joy.
Do try to also share in the joy that others find in their lives. I really admire some kids of my friends that have extremely high "EQ"s and share that I think that their kids are special too.

However, I will add that I too have received some of the same responses that you have. I decided to go ahead and keep sharing info on my kid's achievements anyway. I figure if they can't stand to hear about it, they will stay away from us. It bothered me at first. However, I had trouble refraining... So I guess I just continued to share and they grew tolerant and decided to accept that it is true that some people are gifted and this really can't be denied by hiding their accomplishments. Most of the family and friends have finally accepted my kids as they truly are- gifted individuals who might have a tremendous positive impact on the world some day.