Originally Posted by cdfox
No need for educational software with Web 2.0 and open sources. That's the whole point! The stuff you're suggesting already exists online for FREE and there's no need for updates or downloads either. That's the old way and obsolete.

Not everyone has internet access, and browsing the web with the same device means it needs to be protected with antivirus, etc. Where kids are concerned, you're opening yourself up for extra complexity, responsibility, and cost. I'm picturing a device that accommodates the student's learning style and progress with minimal parent and teacher involvement.

Many pieces that could fit into the software package I'm picturing have been created, but to my knowledge, they've never been brought together and managed appropriately. The Khan academy does nothing to cater to different types of learners (afaik). I'd also like to see games that can be tailored to the individual student's preferences, so if one student wants to practice money management at a virtual clothing store, and another wants a virtual hardware store, they just select a different skin for the same game, and they are both more interested in what they're doing as a result.