Originally Posted by ultramarina
I should mention that she does DO the homework on her own, unless she asks for help, but then I check it, and that's usually where the problems are.

For math, I'll ask either if she wants me to check, or if she wants me to tell her if there are errors. Our school is low-homework, though, so she never has math homework unless it's a worksheet she doesn't finish in class. I've contemplated asking her to bring all of her math worksheets home because the combination of her not reading and the (non-mathy) teacher's explanations not making sense to DD means that she'll often completely blow a worksheet. But so far, I've kept my mouth shut, and so far, it's working.

For writing, I just keep my mouth shut. The time when DD's assignment was to write a story using 10 spelling words, and copy it over using her best handwriting? What she turned in was 4 pages of scrawl, having chosen not to copy it over, and she got full credit for it. If the teacher doesn't care, why should I care? If the teacher does care, and DD is indifferent to the consequences, but it's clear she understands the important part of the assignment, why should I care?

I only go to the mat over homework when DD isn't learning, not when what she's learning is "not everyone expects perfection."