DD is 7 and attends a gifted magnet school where expectations are fairly high, but by no means too high. The school does have a lot of homework (IMO, too much). We have had an increasing number of homework battles where she is either not following directions (wandering off- topic with writing, not following the prompts) or unwilling to buckle down to a math problem she finds scary because she doesn't know how to approach it. I feel torn because my understanding is that helping with and supervising homework is key to student success, yet the battles we are fighting seem counterproductive.

We had a conference with her teacher today. DD is exceeding expectations and has the equivalent of straight As in everything. The teacher basically advised me to back off and not help with or supervise homework much anymore.

I like the idea because it sounds easier for me, but it feels kind of like slacking or failing to do my part as the parent or something. Though we do battle at times, at other times I feel like I am genuinely helpful. Thoughts? What do others do?

Last edited by ultramarina; 11/27/11 11:18 AM.