Originally Posted by Aimee Yermish
(There is a constant back-and-forth politics-thing in which psychologists want school psychs to stop calling themselves psychs because they really really really aren't.) Plus, they are tasked with answering the question of, "Does this kid need services?" not, "What is this kid really like as a person and what is going to help him?" And they typically have *zero* training in GT/2E issues.

So very true!

Thanks for the feedback, we've called off almost everything. No psychiatric eval, no IQ testing. All they will do now is test him academically to see where he falls in line in their curriculum so we can figure out proper placement.

As for psych. eval, we will still do this privately. I really don't think he's 2E, but at least if someone evaluates him, we will have something to go on.

As for an evaluator, is it better to have a neuropsychologist or a psychologist? I've done some research and seems as if neuropsych will also test for how he learns etc. I have a list of names, but now I have to make phone calls to see about experience w/gifted kids. I have a feeling I'm not going to come up with much.

My pediatrician recommended a neuropsychiatrist, she said she had experience w/all types of kids etc. (they will all say this I'm sure). But my husband just received a list of in network providers to take a look at.

Oh, and I did ask my FC at Davidsons and got a great response. At least now I feel like I'm on the right track, just have to choose someone for the evaluation.