Originally Posted by bbq797
As for the social component, they're concerned. At times he gets in kids' faces, knocks down blocks, karate chops the air etc.; it's not all the time, he can certainly pull it together (he does every week for a science class he has after school) and I attribute it to mostly boredom and lack of being able to relate to the other kids. They agree, but also are concerned b/c they see these behaviors at times where it's not an academic setting and it interferes in his learning and his relationships w/the other kids.

Sooooo.....in order to get a complete picture of what's exactly going on, they also want a psych. eval. which has to be done by a psychiatrist. It's just interviewing him and talking to him for a bit.

What standardized instruments (if any) will that psychiatrist be using?

I'd be concerned about the social behavior too. It's perfectly possible to be DYS-level bright and yet also have something 2E going on. My DS has Asperger's and has issues with personal space, temper, and general social fit; ADHD can also be at the root of some kinds of social immaturity. Not saying that's what's going on here, just saying that looking for 2E is a good idea in that if you find something, you can address it.

You are right that these behaviors are outside the norm for his age/grade, and yes, if you skip him, they will be further outside the norm when he's among more mature kids. I would not assume that fixing the academic content will fix the behavior; sometimes it does, but if the child has something else going on, the something else needs to be addressed no matter where they're placed.

However, if it's "go talk to our psychiatrist," and it's just an interview, I don't think that's of significant diagnostic value. If you wanted to screen for 2E issues, you'd do a neuropsychological workup. A psychiatrist is unlikely to be the right person for this job.

DeeDee