Originally Posted by 2giftgirls
oh, donna...something else you mentioned. When your DD is not captivated, you just do the minimum, but we are having the problem that often she is not doing the minimum (worksheets) in class. There's no guarantee whe will do it for me. I'm also concerned that because we've had so much trauma already when it comes to school, that she would start to associate that with me if I was the teacher as well...

Given her really terrible school experiences, if you were to go with the homeschooling option, I'd start with a "deschooling" period, and just visit the library, let her check out books at her level to read, go to museums, watch NOVA specials and travel programs...things that have "sneaky" educational content, but that don't seem coercive and that don't set up a power struggle. There are ways to work educational content including math, literature analysis, history, and science into just about any topic (ask me sometime about tabletop wargaming, lol...), so that your child is interested, engaged, and buying in to the process.