so master-did you wind up homeschooling, public, private...can you give some details?

When asked, she says she does not want to change schools, but she also says she would like to do school on the computer. I did find some short questionaires to go over with her, but what she REALLY wants is more art and more reading. She doesn't really say school is boring, but it's obviously not holding her attention. The school seems to think she is CHOOSING to not cooperate, but I don't think that's it. The sadness on her little face when I asked if she felt in control of herself and her inablity to express whatever it is she feels about school had me in tears!

We have several options, from trying to give her what she needs in the current classroom (where there are only 20 kids in that 2/3 split and a teacher I DO feel is trying very hard) to moving her to her home school (the one she's supposed to go to) that mixes GATE and regular kids, but each class is more than 50% GATE (gifted 98%-99.6% on the Raven) so the teachers teach more on that side. They also currently have a 3/4/5 seminar (99.8%+) but might be losing that teacher...we also have a "home school school" where they do most of the work at home and have one classroom day plus clubs, etc. Or we can choose a full online home school (still has clubs, field trips, events). That one is part of our district, uses the same cirriculum she is currently on, offers G&T options (including the newly added literature ananlysis for 2nd graders) and has "virtual classrooms" so teachers are actually teaching/reviewing the lesson. Also, that one is self paced, so if a child finishes a grade halfway through the year, they canstart the next. This option can accomodate subject acceleration as well...doesn't that sound awesome? Can anyone tell me what a downside to that might be?

I am also looking at two charter schools...one is a museum based school, but I can't count on her getting in and I think we want to move her over the holiday break, unless I see some HUGE improvement...

It's taken me a long time to even get to the place where I am willing to consider that she is truly INCAPABLE of making herself pay attention to the work she's given and that might NOT mean ADHD, but that she needs something so drastically different that we haven't even found it yet? And maybe she doesn't even need acceleration, but if she had art more often, maybe she would be able to pay attention to the rest...she often loses her chance to do an art project because she is still finishing other work frown

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...