I strongly second the suggestion of a private neuropsych eval before drawing conclusions about ADHD/inatttentive type. The quote MumOfThree mentioned *exactly* fits my ds, who does *not* have ADHD but has Developmental Coordination Disorder and an expressive language disorder. He was suspected of having ADHD/inattentive type in 2nd grade when he zoned out in class, stared off into space, didn't complete his work. His teacher was convinced he had ADHD. So many of these symptoms overlap between different challenges and special needs, which is why it's important to have a neuropsychologist eval to help tease out what's really going on.

Like your ds, our ds has a large discrepancy between VIQ/PRI and processing speed. The neurospcyhologist chose tests to follow up on that discrepancy which pinpointed what the root of the issue was. Understanding the cause has (I think) helped us deal with it and make accommodations more effectively.

Best wishes,

polarbear

Originally Posted by MumOfThree
In your shoes I would be doing some reading on innattentive ADHD / ADD and then making sure to ask about this at your meeting. Your description sounds fairly textbook for a gifted / ADHD-i child.

The things that caught my attention were:

high IQ / low processing speed (often associated with ADHD)
"often in a fog and not paying attention"
Completed but lost homework
Bright child perceived as lazy/disorganised/unmotivated
Underachieving
Socially immature