Originally Posted by LinCO
Bug-House, you ain't the only one! I have been fighting the school with my 2nd child, and my 3rd is languishing. Last year in second grade, she scored 2 points below - TWO POINTS BELOW - the NWEA level for math. Her teacher bugged and bugged the gifted program. DD taught math to her class all year.

Well, how are you supposed to test on harder math that you haven't been taught? Of course she didn't test there this year either.
I think this is a situation that begs for Hothousing - just a bit would be all that's needed, assuming it would be fun for your DD. Even just taking a weekend to give all the kids a whack at a free trial of

http://www.aleks.com/free_trial

next rainy weekend just to see what they can do with an enriched environment, if you truly haven't been doing any Math Afterschooling, then that little bit is probably all she needs.

They do have to draw the line somewhere....but to my mind it's better to break the group into 2 subgroups and include a few more of the kids on border in the slower group. Or maybe your DD was an isolated data point? ((In which case, just let her in on a trial basis?)) There should be some group of But basically you are back to the 'SUV' problem if other parents are afterschooling and you aren't.

But I think I'd make more of 2 points on a MAP test than on any other test I know...afterall, the MAP test gives many many many questions that are right at a child's readiness level.

This is an excellent topic, LinCO, and I'd encourage you to move my post and yours to a new thread. Statistically - Vast numbers of kids are in your DD's situation. Every kid deserves to be in a classroom where there is teaching at their readiness level - with academic peers!

Every kid deserves to be in a classroom where there is teaching at their readiness level - with academic peers!

Love and More love,
Grinity

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com