DS2 was tested at age 5(K) by his school to see if he was eligible for the gifted program. He is now 6 and in his first week of first grade.

I received the following message - which I believe to be a fairly typical response from schools:

"...students must have high achievement scores (NWEA test results) and have a Full Scale percentile within the top 2 percentile on our standardized intelligence test. The standardized intelligence test measures a combination of both verbal and nonverbal abilities and calculates a Full Scale percentile based on those two measurements.

Using the criteria mentioned above as well as the parent and teacher input forms, it has been determined that your child is not eligible for High Potential Services. All scores are given in age-normed National Percentile Ranks."

I am a bit surprised that he didn't qualify - his NWEA scores are at the top and he certainly presents as gifted to me.(I'm basing this on spending 13 years with his PG brother and having obtained the Ph.D. in gifted behavior that we all get as we attempt to understand and gain support for our children so that they may have the educational services they deserve.) I wrote back to ask which specific I.Q. test was given and was told the following (which I don't think is typical, but maybe it is?):

"(-School District Name- Assessment for Gifted Students Intelligence Test" "...which are our own standardized and nationally normed tests. We do not accept outside testing."

Aren't there standard IQ tests? Can one just decide their test is an IQ test?

I'm a bit confused. My older son was home schooled until recently and has only taken Explore, ACT, SAT tests. He's never had an IQ test, so I have no experience with this type of testing. I see everyone discuss the tests their children have taken and I don't think I've ever seen anyone report a school specific test. It's always WISC-II or other similar IQ tests.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thank you so much for reading this far. Looking forward to any help y'all can provide.