Thank you all for responding so quickly!

@ SPG: Well, I guess technically they call it an "Assessment for Gifted Students Intelligence Test," not necessarily an "IQ" test. But yes, it sounded mighty fishy to me too. I don't know if he was tested in a group or not. I assumed it was individual but perhaps not. It wasn't administered by a psychologist. No, he isn't being challenged. He wasn't challenged in K either but he only attended 2 1/2 hours so it didn't seem so dire at the time. I'm not sure how they'll work with me since school just started.

In first grade, it would be limited pull out services. I don't anticipate him being challenged in his current situation. In second grade and beyond, however, there is the potential for all day gifted. IF he qualifies, using their "test."

@Cricket: Yes! I can be a bit of trouble maker too. Trying to keep my own wretched school experience from coloring my attempts to advocate for my children is a constant struggle. I also question and wonder about their "national norm" claims. Especially since they won't accept outside testing. I'm in Minnesota, sadly - not close enough to you. Thank you for the kind and generous offer.

@Mcchanceny: That's what I thought. Thank you for helping me realize I wasn't nuts for thinking that too.

@Grinty: I agree. I'm worried about his needs - not the label. I only need him to be classified as gifted for the services. I don't want him stuck relearning the K curriculum that he mastered about 2 years before K started. Last year his half day K teacher told me 6 weeks into the school year that he wouldn't be challenged or learn anything and declared him the smartest student in the class. I love your idea about grouping him with his NWEA peers. I had not thought to ask for that - thank you for suggesting it.

My older ds(13) is much more verbal and outspoken. He was debating his 1st grade teacher-on the first day of school-about a 3 letter word he picked to rhyme with cat. The teacher told him it wasn't a word. By pick-up time he was livid and threatening to bring a dictionary to prove him wrong. He dropped out of school after 2nd grade and stayed home until last year when he started HS at 12. My younger son, on the other hand, is the shy, quiet, somewhat anxious, dreamy type who just shuts down, tunes out, and stops working. Those still waters of his run deep. He isn't one to make trouble (yet) or "show" what he knows. He doesn't like to be singled out. He won't ask for more or different. He will check out books he was reading at age 3 or 4 rather than request books at his actual reading level. Last year his NWEA scores dipped a bit in the Spring after his teacher told everyone to "Go slow. Take your time." He took her literally and slowed down so much he nearly didn't complete the test. He also got quieter and more withdrawn as the school year went on and stopped finishing his work. I mean really, how many times can he be expected to cut and paste a picture of a cat and the letters C A T. I'd have poked my eyes out with my blunt cut scissors!

Thank you all for listening and offering all the good advice. I really appreciate everyone's wisdom and experience.