Originally Posted by annette
When he was younger, he used to ask me what was wrong with the children his age because they wouldn't talk with him or interact. The main reason he is going into Kindergarten at age 3 is because I think every child deserves to have friends they can relate to. If it doesn't work out socially, then I'll pull him out and start bribing the older kids near us. wink
Sing it sister!
My son also is super strong extrovert and that is a bit unusal in PG world. He also was very distressed by the agemates at age 3 but I was so in denial that I had no idea what I was seeing. Your school set up sounds lovely and hopefully you will be able to maintain the social relationships he starts there for your sons whole life. Parents do a lot of the work for a childs social life until about 4th grade in our neighborhood.

Meanwhile start attending the local school board meetings and get to know the decision makers. Building relationships is the name of the game. If the private kindergarden is well respected by the local public school then the teachers recommendation may go along way. Build friendships at the local homeschool coop and see if once they know you the rules don't start to bend.

Lots of camps and sports teams and afterschool activities will bend act requirements especially if they know you.Or you ask nice.

Apparently you are just going to have to accept that it is going to be hard for folks to hear the truth when it comes from you (even we moms don't trust moms) so get others to stand up for you as much as possible. Professionals teachers music or karate teachers even other kids Moms or othe kids.

My son did well with a single skip plus a summer birthday but was limited by ADHD and low stamina. He has many friends who are at 3 years accelerated but I ones I know started with a single skip then added a subject acceleration then added gradually from there. I think it is great that you and your DH remembered your own experience and can use it as a guide. Most folks I know are still in denial. I'm sad to say that I thought that if I could just manage to avoid filling my sons head up with ideas that he could be what I always wished to be in elementary school...someone whose needs could be met there.

Now I get it that the children are born the way they are and it isn't my fault. My mom was so proud of her kids being smart and looked to me like she was sure it was all because of her. I'm so sorry that I never even asked my son's day care to try him with the older kids or looked for a school like yours.

I believe that you will find good patches as you go. Remember that from the elementary schools perspective it is the concrete skills that impress them....handwriting...telling time...shoelaces....math facts.....taking turns....sharing toys and...ut oh....doing things the teacher's way.

My DS15 has had behavior charts at school off and on between 1st grade and 6th. 'Doing things the teachers way' was a biggie.

On one hand 3 is too young to expect that but on the other hand the giant reinforcer is there at this private preschool...access to big boys.
You might want to start harping on the idea that 'big boys' do things the teachers way at school and save other ways for home.

But I gulp to even write this. Is there anything honest you can say about doing things other peoples way in the workplace? A sort of family creed to explain the importance of flexibility in this matter?

Love and more love
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com