Originally Posted by nuttybuddy
My son is very exceptional. He was tested by a neurologist at Texas Children's Hospital and his IQ is extremely high. He also has Sensory Processing Disorder and is possibly on the spectrum. He will be 5 this summer.

In the past week, he began speaking a new language. At first, I wasn't sure what language he was speaking because he has made up his own languages in the past. But, now that I've done some research, it is clearly Russian. He seems to speak it fluently.

I don't know anyone who speaks Russian and since he only has access to DVDs, I know he didn't learn it from TV.

Has anyone ever heard of this before?

Welcome!

Wow. That's something I haven't heard of before. Your son sounds like quite a kid! When you ask him how he knows this new language what does he say??

Would you consider taking your test scores and achievement testing (if you have any) and anything else you might have and applying to the Davidson Young Scholars Program (DYS) if you haven't already? From what you have described above, he seems like the type of child they were created to assist. You can search on "DYS" here on this forum if you have questions after you check out the info on the web or you can always just ask as you did above. It appears to be a wonderful program to help with raising a PG child. They have likely seen children "more like yours". And I understand they also have a forum... Maybe someone there has seen something like this before..

Last edited by herenow; 04/27/11 06:17 AM.