We recently had DD8 complete the CDI (a depression inventory) and the MASC (an anxiety inventory) through our ped. She scored within normal limits for anxiety and right on the borderline of diagnosable for depression. Daily issues include rage, tears, inflexibility, low self-esteem, and worry. She likes her school, which is a GT magnet. It is still probably too easy, but a lot closer than her previous school arrangement. She has no behavior issues of note at school. I don't really think school is the issue, though I could be wrong. She has always been a "hard" kid, from birth.

DD's ped, whom I really like and who had GT kids herself, has recommended counseling (based on the screeners) and given me the names of a couple of counselors. She was pretty firm in her opinion that DD does not need meds (I agree) but that intervention of some kind is warranted.

I'm not anti-therapy, but I wonder about its efficacy for a young child. I'd be interested in positive (or negative, I guess) stories about your children's experiences with it.

I will say that we are all frustrated and upset here quite often. I feel a need to do SOMETHING. I have explained the concept of therapy to DD and she is receptive. I have no idea what our insurance coverage would be like.

Last edited by ultramarina; 02/23/12 04:50 PM. Reason: adding DD's age