We haven't started counseling yet because we're fighting our insurance company to have them cover it, the only one they're willing to cover is a religion based therapist which does not sit with us (and frankly I think it's unconstitutional and possibly illegal).

But I have to say that getting the clinical psych evaluation was the best $1500 we ever spent (insurance didn't cover that either). The dr we went to was recommended by our school district as being very experienced with gifted children, and told us things about our daughter that we never would have known, things that she does need help with, both psychologically and in school. They were able to recommend therapists that they know to be specialized in the areas she needs help with, rather than us going to a general counselor and hoping for the best.

While we love our pediatricians, both past and present, neither of them were even inclined to suggest she was gifted, in fact one of them went so far as to tell us we were delusional for thinking it a possibility. Both pediatricians have been fantastic on the physical medicine side, picking up on medical conditions that are easy to miss but detrimental if not caught, and I'll be forever grateful to both of them. But they're not trained psychologists and I wouldn't expect them to be able to deliver the same level of expertise in this area.