Originally Posted by ultramarina
We recently had DD complete the CDI (a depression inventory) and the MASC (an anxiety inventory) through our ped. She scored within normal limits for anxiety and right on the borderline of diagnosable for depression. Daily issues include rage, tears, inflexibility, low self-esteem, and worry. .... She has always been a "hard" kid, from birth.

DD's ped, whom I really like and who had GT kids herself, has recommended counseling (based on the screeners) and given me the names of a couple of counselors.

Ultra, are you still planning to pursue neuropsych type eval, or are you stopping at this point? I ask because what therapy you choose depends on what you find.

Based on our experience, I am not a huge fan of talk therapy for little kids. DS did a year of that, but the therapist didn't get far with him. She did give us the AS diagnosis and she shipped us off to someone who really could help, so I'm grateful to her, but talking alone wasn't going to solve his particular combination of issues, which included a hefty dose of anxiety.

I am a huge fan of cognitive-behavior therapy. I think even a bright 6 year old can start understanding the principles, and using it to reduce anxiety. Far more effective IMO than most other kinds of therapy.

I agree that if you're that frustrated, it is worth trying something.

HTH,
DeeDee

ETA: for the sake of completeness I should mention that DS has had a hefty dose of ABA therapy (also based on behaviorist principles) and that this too has been very effective for him.

Last edited by DeeDee; 02/23/12 04:53 PM.