Originally Posted by ultramarina
I wondered about whether she needs a diagnosis for therapy to be covered. The ped didn't mention it. I suspect they can code her as depressed if they need to. She scored a 13, which some people use as the cutoff, whereas others use 19.

I think a psych would code either the anxiety or the depression, whatever works better for the insurance. Insurance is highly variable with regard to mental health issues.

I really don't think she is seriously sucidical, but that does give you a sense of the intensity of her emotions.

I hear you, but I'd still want to make sure a therapist was working on that issue. Even the idea of self-harm is not one to mess around with.

I also think we might benefit from family therpay

Anything that helps parents cope is good IMO.

And I still wonder if we are missing an Asperger's or ADHD dx. The ped appeared very skeptical that either was at play, but she is just one ped.

I wouldn't trust a ped's judgment on this. My DS has a glaringly obvious, almost stereotypical case of AS, and the ped (who is otherwise superb) thought it was just giftedness.

As you know from our prior conversations, I see red flags for AS in some of her profile. If you can get the eval done, I think it may be helpful for ruling in/out.

DeeDee