I wondered about whether she needs a diagnosis for therapy to be covered. The ped didn't mention it. I suspect they can code her as depressed if they need to. She scored a 13, which some people use as the cutoff, whereas others use 19.

I think DD would like therapy. She likes adults, she likes to be taken seriously, and she is open and receptive to discussing her feelings. I also believe that on a gut level she wants to be helped. So all this is good, but then I do wonder about the expense and inconvenience.

Grinity--I have considered asking for harder work. The interesting thing about DD is that she scored just a few points over this school's cutoff (130) but seems to still be pretty much way at the top of her class. Anyway, her numbers would likely not support acceleration, since she is of "average" IQ for this group, I'm sure. Her achievement in school is extremely high, however. She appears interested and engaged, with some occasional complaints about math being too easy.

There is a question about suicidal ideation on the scale. She answered it with the "middle" answer--"I think about it sometimes but I would never do it." She has said "Fine, then I'll just kill myself!" (or "Since you hate me I just want to die", or something) once or twice in the extreme heat of the moment, then later has been remorseful and said she knew that was a very hurtful thing to say. I really don't think she is seriously sucidical, but that does give you a sense of the intensity of her emotions.

I also think we might benefit from family therpay--we might suggest that. And I still wonder if we are missing an Asperger's or ADHD dx. The ped appeared very skeptical that either was at play, but she is just one ped.

Last edited by ultramarina; 02/23/12 04:49 PM.