I am reading "Cinderella Ate My Daughter" by Peggy Orenstein. Along this subject line, Dude.

We don't have cable but when there is some image etc like that on a netflix DVD(or when she watches cable in a hotel) DH has a running commentary to counteract. It's a little over-the-top sometimes, but DD thinks it's hysterical and I think you need to go overboard sometimes due to the bombardment of messages they are sending. The culture is quite pervasive as you said.

Since my DD loves science so much it comes up alot. She even went to a LEGO workshop one time where you had to pre-register. They had waiting for her a screaming pink lego set. Anyway we've since found another group that doesn't "discriminate" as they say, where she is more comfortable.

We're always analyzing stuff. Sometimes we even discuss the messages to attract/retain girls in science beacause, though I respect the efforts, it's almost like people are afraid that if something's not pink or flowery or chemistry about perfume it's not acceptable to girls. Again, I respect the effort but sometimes it appears to be an either-or situation...either pink or not in. Anyway I'd better quit now!