Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 173 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    W
    W
    I live in the tri-state area, specifically Northern Westchester county and there is nothing here for gifted education. I noticed on the Genius Denied website there is a map of what states are "giftedness friendly" and New York state seems to be only one of about 4 that does not mandate or fund gifted education which I think is terrible. Everything seems to be in NYC. I just today spoke w/ the principal of my son's elementary school (he's5 yrs old, in Kindergarten) about the result of his reading assessment that I pressured them to do and she said he got to level 30 out of 44 levels and level 44 corresponds to a 3rd grade level. I think they might offer to pull him out to work with a reading teacher and I also asked about math since he can do more than what I think they offer in kindergarten. I guess it will all have to be piecemeal

Actually, I think there are quite a few states that don't fund their mandates, which often ends up meaning pretty shoddy service.

Kriston
    Originally Posted by XRX
    That is a lot of Hits. I am a Gifted in New York if anyone cares.
    Hi XRX!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by westchestermom
    I live in the tri-state area, specifically Northern Westchester county and there is nothing here for gifted education. I noticed on the Genius Denied website there is a map of what states are "giftedness friendly" and New York state seems to be only one of about 4 that does not mandate or fund gifted education which I think is terrible. Everything seems to be in NYC. I just today spoke w/ the principal of my son's elementary school (he's5 yrs old, in Kindergarten) about the result of his reading assessment that I pressured them to do and she said he got to level 30 out of 44 levels and level 44 corresponds to a 3rd grade level. I think they might offer to pull him out to work with a reading teacher and I also asked about math since he can do more than what I think they offer in kindergarten. I guess it will all have to be piecemeal

I totally understand your wanting the school to IQ test, as it's a useful thing to know, and would save you lots of money, but when it comes to programing - the piecemeal approach is much, much, much, much better. It really doesn't matter what a child's IQ is IF ( and this is a giant IF) the school is willing to evaluate the child and keep them in classroom situations that are at their current 'readiness level.'

For example, you might have a child who really will 'even out' in 3rd grade, so what? You still want them to experience the 'learning how to learn' right now that they will get if they are in a learning environment that is a good fit.

If you want the school to test, send a short written note making the request and stating what actual problems are occuring that you would like addressed. They may say yes. But if they are actally willing to do CBA (curriculum based assesment) and then act on their own data, you have something much much more valuable.

Hope that helps,
    Grinty

W
    W
    You can contact AGATENY.com and find someone in Buffalo or Rochester and ask them. The NYS 2008 conference was near Buffalo this year and filled with the professionals in that area.

Ren

Why do you think NY is so lax on GT? Do you think they rely more heavily on the private sector? I know that it is common knowledge of the competitiveness in NYC and the high percentage of gifted children in that pocket. I just think it odd that NY is so behind the times not that the other states have it right but a lot fund for the gifted programs.

W
    W
    The strange thing is that NYC is so advanced in pushing gifted programs. I am compiling a list of the NYC schools that have some gifted. This varies from gifted magnet schools to just gifted classes within an elementary, most of which are not accelerated. There are 200 elementary and middle schools in the 5 boros that have a program.

There are 4 elementary schools in NYC that are for kids that score above 99th percentile and they are adding 1 in Queens and 1 in Brooklyn in next year and then Bronx and Staten Island the year after. Hence, they will be able to accomodate most of the identified gifted kids. You get out of NYC and there isn't much. Nassau county has a school for the gifted, but they are far and few in the state, yet NYC leads in public gifted schooling, maybe in the nation.

Ren

W
    W
    PS I am complining the list for the AGATE conference, they don't have a list.

OP Offline
    hearing this makes me muse:
    I know an awesome old school building that is vacant in schenectady.... mmmmm, but it is hard enough trying to eek out a meager living selling meagers..... I am not really capable of making it happen....

I can march in the parade, but I can't lead it.

Originally Posted by Katelyn'sM om
    Why do you think NY is so lax on GT?

I think that the myth that 'gifted children will take care of themselves, and don't need our help' is alive and well in many US states. If the people don't have the will for it, then the leaders won't spend the $ on it.

LOL - it's not that I think that there is some well funded anti-gifted lobby that is covertly influencing politicians.

The more we share with our friends and neighbors in an appropriate way, the stronger our voice will be. This is a tall order. But it has been done before for many groups. I just hate it that when times get tough, we fund gifted programs because 'we need these kids for what they will grow up and achieve.' I much prefer: 'We are a country that supports the development of all of our children.'

Smiles,
    Grinity

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM