Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 115 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #238333 05/13/17 03:29 AM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    It's ages since I've been here, but I still recognise a few names of posters, so maybe there might be a few people reading who would be interested in an update on how Colin is, now he's 13...

The answer is, very well indeed, and about to go as a King's Scholar to a school you may have heard of* (and googling that will, I think, take you straight to it). His current school has continued to be fantastic for him, and preparing (in tiny classes and with individualised work inside them) for the scholarship papers (links to which are a few hits further down that google page, if you're interested/your kids might like them) has been a good stretch for him in his less strong subjects.

Maths-wise we've managed to keep him well occupied without finishing the school syllabus, for which I think we (parents and school) deserve medals. He got through to the second round of full-written-answer international mathematical olympiad team selection competitions this year (didn't get many marks in it, mind, but did get some!) and will go to his first residential maths camp, looking towards that, this summer, just before starting his new school. Although maths is his strongest subject, it's not his obsession; he still reckons he'll probably end up doing a science subject rather than maths at university. We'll see...

He's a really delightful, well-adjusted, happy teenager (touch wood!); he has good friends and enjoys many activities. I'm going to miss him when he's away at boarding school (though it's not like the olden days - it'll be rare to have more than 3 weeks without seeing him, and the holidays are very long). I think it's going to be awesome for him, though, living with the other scholars and (I hope and think) experiencing some very high-powered teaching and peers. (Incidentally, two of the other scholars are listed as being in US schools: if their parents are reading, I'd love it if you PMed me.)

Best wishes to you all and all your children.

* Forgive me for putting it like this: this post is very identifying, even though Colin is not called Colin, of course, and naming the schools involved, or the competition and camp - even though both are easy for a human to identify from what I've said - just feels like one step too far towards being googleable. Admittedly as I think about how to justify rationally what I am and am not happy writing, I realise I can't really!

Last edited by ColinsMum; 05/13/17 03:31 AM.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    I often wondered what had become of you and your son.

I am indebted to you because it was your detailed feedback on an AOPS class (Geometry, I think) that you posted here that persuaded me to try AOPS for our DD.

Great to hear that things are still moving along in the right (somewhat distinguished) direction!

Last edited by madeinuk; 05/13/17 06:19 AM.

Become what you are
    Wow, so great to hear your update! I haven't been around for a while either, so it was sheer luck that I saw your post. Wish you and Colin all the best.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Thank you, madeinuk, Portia and MegMeg! I'd love to hear how you and yours are doing too. I'll try to be around more often, at least for the next few months.

P
    P
    Sounds good. Nice to know hard work can pay off.

A
    A
    Delighted to hear from you and to learn that your son is happily forging his own path. Wonderful!!!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    T
    T
    Good job Colin's Mum. You do deserve a medal.

P
    P
    Fabulous to hear your son is doing so extraordinarily well - he's obviously found the path to hard work and passion for what he does. And nice to hear you are well too - your advice over the years has been invaluable to me as I try to figure out how to support my own rather challenging math monster.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks all!

Q
    Q
    It is always wonderful to hear the success stories. Major kudos to Colin! Unfortunately, it does get harder to avoid identifying info as these kiddos get older and accomplish more.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent