Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 111 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    garg, sciOly123, arnav, Advocato, Tee
    11,461 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    I'm thinking comic book style action...wham! squish! AAAAAA! <thump-thump>

Of course it took me years to get over seeing Nightmare on Elm Street. Years. I suppose that was cartoonish violence, too.

OP Offline
    We saw it! DS4 did lean over once and whispered, with a grin, "this one is pretty scary!" But he loved it. I'm glad my instincts (that DS is not sensitive in this way) were right. I think it helps that he's seen probably every scooby doo episode ever made, and a lot of the things that happen in indiana jones movies also have happened in scooby doo, old and new. (I used to tease DS4 when he was watching a scooby doo episode that looked like they were doomed by saying "oh no! this is the end of scooby! no more scooby doo shows ever. Oh, wait, there are a million more scoobies. I guess he'll be ok.")

What surprised me is that reading the descriptions of what was going to happen ahead of time seemed scarier and creepier than the movie actually was for me. I was expecting a lot worse.

I will remember to warn DS about the pulling out of the heart -i remember that grossed me out. And DS definitely wants to see them - when I told him there were other indiana jones movies, he said "maybe it's on charter on demand" and we had to go home immediately and check. (no luck. will have to rent.)

Last edited by st pauli girl; 06/11/08 04:49 PM.
    Originally Posted by Cathy A
    Of course it took me years to get over seeing Nightmare on Elm Street. Years.

That was the scariest movie to me, too. Someone who haunts your dreams...how do you escape that? (Of course, never getting sleep is my worst IRL nightmare, so that didn't help either!)

BTW, I read somewhere that around the age of 13 is the time kids are most sensitive to scary movies. Both before and after, things in movies supposedly bother them less. I can't tell you where I read it, so take it with a very large grain of salt, but I thought that was an interesting factoid.

Kriston
    Hm. Well, I was 15 at the time. My parents were po'ed that I was shown an R-rated movie on a school trip. One of the hazards of acceleration I guess.

Hmmm....I was 14 when I saw Temple. In fact I was thinking I was rather old to be that freaked out by it! Thanks Kriston for making me feel better!!! LOL!!!! grin

I have done a (highly!) informal poll whenever the topic of scary movies arises in casual conversation, and most people do seem to have been the most freaked out by movies they saw right around the 13-15 age range.

Of course, that might be just because that's the first time most kids are allowed to see the scary stuff...

Still, it makes some sense to me. You're old enough at that age to have some sense that the world isn't all sunshine and roses, but you're still young enough to feel that you have little control over what happens to you.

I figure that's why our GT kids are often so much more sensitive to stuff at a young age. When you understand more but have no more control over your life than the average kid, things can really seem scary, I suspect.

Kriston
    That whole trip caused something like PTSD. Immediately after watching Nightmare on Elm St. (which I laughed nervously at while I watched) we went outside and played capture the flag in the dark. It was like an adrenaline overdose for me or something. I was scared/excited anyway because I had never been away from home like that before.

acs Offline
    I have been equally freaked out my whole life shocked. The only difference now is that I am mature enough to gracefully get myself out of a situation where such movies or shows are being watched cool. When I was younger I was more likely to be peer-pressured into such viewings frown.

It is the pictures I have trouble with. I can't even handle TV news. I don't even like to read the news. But it's fine if I get news from the radio. I also work a lot with people who are dying and while sometimes sad, it never freaks me out at all. My problem comes with passively watching. Just how I'm wired, I guess.

acs Offline
    Originally Posted by Cathy A
    That whole trip caused something like PTSD. Immediately after watching Nightmare on Elm St. (which I laughed nervously at while I watched) we went outside and played capture the flag in the dark. It was like an adrenaline overdose for me or something. I was scared/excited anyway because I had never been away from home like that before.

I cannot even imagine going through that! In fact, I am quite sure that I would have spent the movie in the bathroom. As for capture the flag in the dark or the light, I always find an excuse to get out of it. Too bad I wasn't there, I could have been your excuse. "Sorry guys I can't go, my friend ACS is having a nervous breakdown just thinking about watching the movie--I'll have to tend to her!" LOL

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Should We Advocate Further?
    by polles - 06/13/24 07:24 AM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by Meow Mindset - 06/11/24 08:16 PM
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM