aculady, yep, that's my understanding-- an argument could be made, and I'm sure it's one that we would all agree with. I'm just not sure it would always win. It would be along the same lines as the arguments we make that our children are due an education that helps them learn, like all children should have, but the no-child-left-behind-or-forward focus and thinking can be hard to overcome. I remain unconvinced that gifted disabled kids are entitled to any better education than gifted non-disabled kids. But again, I am shooting a bit from the hip here (despite being a good guesser), and I've put this on my list of things to dig into when I get some time.

Luckily the OP seems to be on firm ground due to the continued need for extra time at least on the standardized testing for her grade, although I think things might get a bit shaky against strong resistance if she pushes the "appropriate level for a child of her intellectual abilities" at the same time as she demands extra time for reading. A lot of third graders would read "The Hobbit" slowly (is what a benighted administrator or teacher might say, though we believe that's not the proper measure).

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick