DD9 is HG with dyslexia and dysgraphia. I sent an email to DD9's teacher asking to schedule her annual 504 review. DT responded that she will recommend that DD not continue on her 504.

When I asked on what basis, DT responded that a 3rd grader reading "The Hobbit" couldn't possibly be dyslexic. DD is reading the book at a snail's pace. We listened to the audio recording on a recent family trip. DD had a hard time understanding the narrator's accent so she decided to go back and read it on her own to fill in the blanks. I saw no reason to discourage her. DD's only accommodation for reading is allowing extra time. I'd hate to see her lose it.

When I asked about her writing accommodations, the teacher responded that DD's writing really depends on the day. DD can write at or above-grade level most days but some days it just isn't there. DT questions whether DD is dysgraphic since the "symptoms" seem to come an go. Once again, DD just gets extra time and is allowed to keyboard though she doesn't type well enough to use it. (Aside-- I plan to get her typing lessons this summer since at-home efforts haven't worked.) DT also pointed out that DD only used 5 minutes of extra time on one of the state standardized tests. I responded that the 3rd grade tests were not challenging for DD. Also, knowing that she had the extra time greatly reduced DD's anxiety and allowed her to finish in a more timely manner.

I'm worried that DD will need more time as reading and writing demands increase next year. I know the teacher that DD will have next year and am sure that she will give DD extra time. I just hate to see the documentation disappear.

Any thoughts?