Originally Posted by Grinity
[quote=smacca]
If you want to be brave, mention what general part of the country you live in,and we'll see if any of us knows someone.

Also OK to post a sign up in the local Library for Parent/Child book discussion group forming for 2-4 year olds with your contact info on it. Or a similar classified add in your local newspaper....Or ask you local librarian/pediatrician/accountant/dentist that if they ever run into any kids that 'remind' them of your kid, please to give your phone number.
Also look at any homeschooling local resources, as there are often folks homeschooling because they sense that their children would be a poor fit in age-ranked classrooms, so if they don't identify as gifted families, they well may be.

Smiles, and thanks for de-lurking,
Grinity

Southwest Alaska, Bethel to be exact. There aren't a whole lot of HS families in town, though there are a few. I know a few other families with gifted (or likely gifted... there really isn't a system in place for identifying or serving gifted kids in our school district. I know, because I work at the district office blush) kids, but they're all much older. If any state organization exists, it's likely in Anchorage, which is a $400 (round trip) airplane ride away... in which case, I'd be talking to people online anyway. I know there's nothing in town because it's a verrrrrrrrry small town. My husband works at the library, I work for the school district... and that's about all there is as far as organizations that serve kids go.

We go back to the Lower 48 (WI specifically) in the summers, though, which is where I have more connections.

Last edited by smacca; 03/11/11 03:34 PM.