Be sure to investigate how curriculum is actually "bundled."

With our school, for example, placement can be separated for math and, well, everything else. But language arts is the driver for the remainder of the curriculum. For many PG kids, this is far from ideal since their writing skill set is typically the weakest link-- and what that means in practical terms is that with the exception of math, they are still limited to the level of their own weakest skill set.

It's definitely better in that it is still self-paced; it's just not Nirvana.

Other things I'd ask (as veterans both of charter schooling in your state and a distance ed family in the public system)--

• what kind of stability do they predict? When is the "charter" due for renewal? (This is a political hot potato right now in OR... and you don't want to find a terrific solution only to have it evaporate on you in a year.)
  • Who selects curriculum? Can you see any of it ahead of time?
  • What happens if your child has questions for the teacher in between instructional sessions?
  • Are the materials differentiated from standard curriculum? If so, how?
  • what are grades based upon? who grades daily work and provides feedback to your child? (ask for DETAILS there-- often this type of schooling is heavily dependent upon multiple choice assessments like quizzes and exams, and little daily work or deeper learning is ever even assessed.)
  • are there ever opportunities (other than field trips) for students to experience group instruction? How?
  • is your child still officially enrolled in YOUR home district? Officially enrolled in this neighboring district? Where can students enrolled in this charter school go for extracurriculars/specials like music, athletics, etc.? (It may not matter to you-- but best to be informed, right?)
  • Required attendance-- how is this verified? By whom?

If I think of more stuff, I'll edit it in or add it in another post.

We're in your state, and we're with one of the two big virtual charter schools. We have been for the last five years. It's better by far than B&M schooling-- but as I said, it's not perfect. Not by a long shot. It's definitely NOT 'homeschooling.' (Seriously-- if you do virtual schooling and you like the option, please make a mental note NOT to use the term "homeschool" for it. There are political reasons to be careful in explaining/discussing virtual education options in our state. )

Feel free to PM or e-mail me if you have specific questions about what the state itself mandates of virtual schoolers, and what I've learned (some of it the hard way) about virtual schools here.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.