Ah Grinity I think you have hit the nail on the head. I was always happy to learn whatever was put in front of me and was very internally driven. It has been very, very hard for me to understand my DS. I know he is so bright and he puts so much time and effort into the things that interest him that it appears to me that he just isn't trying to do those things that don't interest him (spelling, punctuation, etc.) And this frustrates me to no end. Why not just DO it and not stare out the window, etc?

I know part of it is his visual problems. The doctor told me how hard it is for my DS to do certain things and he asked me how long I would stare at Latin before I would start looking out the window. I understand the point but you're also right that I need to help him become emotionally invested in what he is doing - because he has to do it. That is very hard to know how to do though. His school does follow the writing process you mentioned but he just slops through it doing as little writing as he can. The thing that gets me is he has such creative ideas and such a fantastic imagination but he hates writing so much he doesn't get the ideas down. It is getting better though - maybe I just need to be more patient.

Originally Posted by Grinity
good explanation of how two people, DH and I could both be so smart and yet look so stupid to each other. What one does as easily as breathing, the other finds quite difficult...

You said a mouthful there. It is hard to understand why things that are so easy to you are so hard to others and they feel the same way back. That could be a topic in and of itself! Thanks for the great ideas. :-)