Good.

First. Judge me as a writer.
Spelling? Terrible.
Organization? Depends on who the judge is - I think I'm amazing at organization - using everything at my disposal to get my point accross, even if I have to violate conventions left and right. But in a K-8 grade environment, teachers just though I didn't 'get' the rules, and wanted me to follow them. I probably irritate and confuse sometimes.
Mechanics? Not so good.
Volume? Perhaps too much at times....often just right.
Speed? Amazing. I know what I want to say instantly. What you mostly see is me 'just letting it flow' with a tiny bit of edition on the fly. If I was writing for 'the ages' I would use a much longer process, and include others in it, both for content and mechanics.

I went through the same with my Mom, my teachers, etc. I believed them. Luckily what helped me was writing. The more I wrote, the better I got, the more I was to self-edit, or allow others to edit my work. For me, editing before typing was just impossible - and I didn't learn to type until the ripe old age of 12! Sadly I wasn't allowed in the honors English track in High School because of 'poor spelling' and 'sloppy handwriting.' Doesn't that seem strange looking back? Everyone around me equated 'writing power' with mechanics. I was recognised as a reader, but no one seemed excited about that. I just believed everyone that I was 'Mathy' until...the Verbal SAT - sometimes a test can change the way people see you, and the way you see yourself. Please don't let that happen to your son. Be on HIS side, and quitely give the balanced push were needed.

If you can live with your DS growing up 'like me' then follow this advice.

1) Be his recorder. Audio, Video AND Scribe all those wonderful stories. Get him in love with communicating his ideas. Make it easy for him to 'get it out.' 60% of your efforts here.

2) Limit your efforts on mechanics to 30%. Include a good typing program as much as you can bribe him. Include editing your writing - not his. Include visual training and small motor activities - sewing! Check with the therapist for ideas, or here with us, but make SURE this whole area is limited to 30% of your efforts. Honestly it's the only way you will be able to correctly mirror to him your appreciation of his gifts. And if you don't do it - who will? Please please please don't let spelling, grammer and punctuation be the bottle neck to expression - your son is still so young! How did you feel about baby talk? I loved it!

This will take a lot of maturity on your part, so get support. If you are having trouble dig a bit. Grammer, Vocabulary, and Spelling have a long history of being used to make class distinction and tighten up the barrier between the haves and the have nots. So some of your fear may be from old memories of how your family members either were treated or treated others. Remember My Fair Lady? I don't remember which comedian made the joke about African American Moms instructing their son's to use "The King's English" if pulled over for a traffic violation, but I had already heard that story several times. So your fears have a real and serious basis.

You may want to edit and print out this Maxim and put it on the Fridge:

"In the world of the future, there will be no spelling or grammer. We will communicate heart to heart and mind to mind."

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com