Hi knute974,

As far as subject acceleration is illegal at our school district....

Well, initially I was being told that it is a state policy by the district gifted coordinator. I pointed out TEA�s Chapter 89: Adaptations for Special Populations: Subchapter A. Gifted/Talented Education and called around nearby school districts. Then I was told that it was a district policy. I could not find it in ink anywhere. This rule only applies to K-4. Starting in 5th grade, kids are divided into 3 tracks in math and language arts. So, we just have to get through K-4, then things should improve.

This school year, before I even asked, DD6's (1st grade) teacher told me that over the summer, the school's GT teacher asked the district for permission to do pull-out math enrichment classes. The district denied the request. DD's teacher could not understand why and no explanation was given. Not sure if it has to do with the big budget cut around here.

I know this is not really part of your question.... but to be fair, DD's teacher this year acknowledged the fact that DD is 2-3 grade above her peers in math. So, she put together a math challenging folder for DD. We are very touched by her effort. But, she pointed out that DD does not want to feel left out during math time and prefers to play the games with her classmates. For the last 7 weeks of school, DD has done 5? pages in the challenge folder. And, we still have to talk with the teacher to bump up the level. We are also trying to make sure it is "challenging" and not busy work. DD's teacher was very honest, basically stated that it is near impossible for her to differentiate because she has 17 other students to teach.

Now back to your question as far as going up the chain of command.... we have only gone as far as the district gifted program coordinator. Right now, we have a very good relationship with DD's principle, GT teacher, and school teachers. With a second child potentially going to kindergarten next year, we are trying to balance between keeping a good relationship vs. meeting DC's needs.

Hope this answers your questions....
Mag