I agree with what you're saying about multiple experts and I understand and cringe about what you're saying re how-do-you Qs, Perhaps I'm wrong in thinking so, but I believe the students could be sufficiently knowledgable (and with different areas of expertise) to make the conversation interesting. You're right -- might not work for gen ed requirements... but then again, I've seen posts from college freshmen that were decent, and got some back-and-forth. The point of --- whatever this thing for HG+ (or at least very high achieving and interested) kids turns out to be -- wouldn't be to have a vibrant online community... It would be to have a good learning experience that was conviniently accessible despite geographic considerations, and I think part of that package is having discussion with other students -- in the class setting and out. So the question is, given the very valid limitations, could there be meaningful back-and-forth?

I think it'd be fantastic if there was an early online college -- one that looked unlike most online colleges. One with student clubs, projects, chances for independent study and small-group learning, maybe even summer opportunities where at least some of the kids could get together and meet, etc. It could draw on kids from all over the world. But, of course, setting up a college is a huge pain. Is there an interest/need for something like this? Or would it be better to have something altogether different that catered to kids doing middle and high school work? It could provide credit, if the students/parents were interested, or it could be purely extracurricular. (Hmm... at some age, kids talking to each other becomes problematic... in which case, it might as well just be some sort of computerized module or a one-on-one tutorial/mentorship kind of thing...)