Sounds like my ds, now 9. He has often done the 'edge of the crowd' thing, sometimes just doing his own thing, sometimes more like circling to observe the group. He loves to move around, for one thing. He doesn't care too much about the order of things, but children's loud talking/mild misbehavior makes him very very upset sometimes, anxious that everyone will get in trouble. Doesn't like loud places either.
A major difference is that my ds was always always wanted to be in a crowd of people and have lots of friends. Our neuropsych said that there are folks who want a lot of friends and to be at the center of things and they are at the center of things, then those folks who don't want the crowds/tons of friends, and tend to avoid it, and that works for them (possibly your ds' situation). My ds is a less than ideal mix of these - finds it hard to connect with people, really really wants to be at least 'mildly' popular.

If his mood generally seems happy it might not be anxiety so much as just desire for quiet and a few excellent friends, instead of many (loud) acquaintances...that is one characteristic of of adult gifties, fyi.

But you are very right to keep an eye on things. 3.2 may not be entirely too young for some group counseling focused on the ins and outs of playing with other kids; have you looked at social skills groups? (might be an option if you continue to be concerned )

Hugs to your and your ds!

Last edited by chris1234; 05/14/10 01:03 PM.