Originally Posted by BonusMom
Am I the only one who doesn't back away from these conversations? The way I see it, giftedness needs to come out of the closet, and the more people get used to hearing (and not fearing) the word, the more progress we will make.

I'm not rude or braggy about it (at least, I don't think so), but if someone asks me "how is school going" I'm going to answer about the boredom and the behavior and this new debilitating fear of a challenge. And in turn I will listen sympathetically to whatever concerns or successes the other parent wants to express. I just don't see any point in being dishonest or avoiding the conversation entirely.

I tend to wade in cautiously, but yes, I am honest about our situation when it seems appropriate. I tend to keep quiet when people are bragging about their kids--as I said, I don't like competitive parenting--and naturally, I gravitate toward people who accept that giftedness exists. But I prefer to be honest and open in my life, and I'm not really interested in allowing giftedness to seem like a dirty little secret. I went through a time when it felt like that, and it was uncomfortable for me.

Frankly, at a certain point, HG+ kids are far enough ahead that milestones and things of that nature aren't really so much of an issue anymore. For example, DS8 is learning pre-algebra. People see his math workbook or ask him what he's learning about, and they get what's what. I don't have to say a word. If they ask why he's so far ahead or why we're homeschooling, I explain. If not, that's fine, too.

So it gets better. smile

Kriston