Originally Posted by Isa
Only, to help you see things more clearly imagine that you are someone else and that you have to advice Grinity what to do concerning her son.

Ok Isa, I went back are re-read. Here's what I found out.

Dear Grinity,
You sound tired of fighting, and tired of shielding, and propping up your fledgling. I'll bet that you love having your boy at a school that 'gets' how bright he really is, and is willing to take some responsibility for 'thinking well about him.' Of course you feel like you can't face going back to the 'what's wrong with him?' that was your old feedback from the district. I'm quite sure that you can face it, and suspect that it will not be the same. "One can't put one's foot in the same river twice." You know that his private school is drooling over his future test scores, and you feel this gives you some sort of power. Don't settle for the feeling of power, go for the reality of the power of doing the right thing. You know that the public school has nothing to gain by keeping him around, except whatever satisfaction their sense of integrity gives them for a job well done, which will vary.

But look at it this way. Your DS knows all of this on some level. He's willing to step forward and see what there is to learn. He is motivated to be accepted socially, and no matter what the response to him, he will certianly learn much in the process. Maybe this is his next challenge that he is setting up for himself? If he does this 'crazy' thing, and needs help, you will know or find out how to help him the best you can. And it will be enough. Maybe life is like Math, you can't learn how to go slowly and carefully unless you are working at your challenge level.

Anyway, I'm sorry that this is going to look like an weird choice, or worse, that you'll look cheap. I know that you really don't want to face the inevitable questions, but I know someone who is great at spin who can help you develop an 'elevator speech' for those awkard social moments. People are only trying to make contact. Your DS is already planning to use, "It was too expensive."

Now, how are you going to explain all this to dear, conventially-boned DH?

Hee Hee, that was fun!
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com