Several years ago I really wanted my twice-exceptional son to have the opportunity to attend public school part time and I made the mistake of talking about this at a homeschool 4H meeting. I had no idea that other homeschoolers in my area were so against this. My son and I were shunned by several members of the homeschool group and we felt so uncomfortable around these people that we dropped out of the group for a few years.

Recently I rejoined the homeschool group. It had more than doubled in size since I left. I met a few other homeschool moms that also felt part time homeschooling might be good for their kids, but it still isn't allowed in our public schools and I don't think it will be any time soon.

After hearing stories about how things are in our public school, especially the bullying and the focus on sports, I now wish there were more homeschool classes available in our area so my son who is the only child at home could be around other kids while he learns. I think he misses being around other kids. He really enjoys his circuitry class and musical theater class, but most of the time it is just the two of us. At least he can go on facebook and keep in touch with the other musical theater kids.