hi Lori -
My heart goes out to you and your family. Love the 'onus' joke.

I have experienced that life isn't fair - not by a long shot! But it could always be worse, and that is how I keep my perspective when the going gets tough. You can help your son by helping him see the 'unfairness' as part and parcel of life. The more you accept this the easier it will be for him.

The one thing you have control over is your perspective, and the more you 'tune' your mind to all the things you have to be grateful about, the easier that will be. And it is really hard - the more sensitive one is the harder it is - but there are those moments of exquisit joy, too.

In a way, I hope that you son's wearing the brace will be somewhat postive in that his disability has always been so hidden - now with the brace, people might be more understanding. As in 'Oh, I get it, he has physical handicaps, lets modify the scouting program so we can include him.'

I hope that your son can continue his musical theatre activity, even if everyone has to accept some modifications.

Actually I'm wondering if he could pick up an service related activity. For me, there is no better mood enhancer than doing something for someone who needs it.

I'm so sorry that so many 'real life' things that are so sad have happened lately. I hope that you and he are feeling more secure soon.

As far as academics go, my guess is that you are getting close to the time where you would have to transition from being a teacher to being a driver/organizer. I think a few well chosen activities are better than any particular agenda. I think it's ok for him to follow his motivations for a while and double back to the 'have to's later, as long as he is beyond what his agemates are doing at school anyway.

I can picture an indepth study of comparitive religion right about now. I don't remember much about the book 'Why bad things happen to good people' but I know it brought lots of comfort to many people. A friend of mine is exploring Buddism right now, and told me that 'suffering' is actually the normal life condition. Not my cup of tea, but he gets great relief from this perspective.

((hugs and pats))
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com