Originally Posted by Catalana
"Most gifted kids are highly compassionate and patient with others,
Opps Cat - over the line here! Or do you have references for above?"

Hi Grinity,

As for references re: the above, I was thinking about this at the time: http://www.sengifted.org/articles_s...tInGiftedChildrenMoralSensitivity.shtml. I didn't realize it was considered a myth, so I will definitely look at the Ruf article,

Abstract
Starting from an early age, many gifted children show evidence of moral sensitivity. These children tend to care about others, want to relieve pain and suffering or show advanced ability to think about such abstract ideas as justice and fairness. The beginnings of moral sensitivity are found in the development of empathy between child and care-taking parent.
Deirdre V. Lovecky is a licensed psychologist with a practice in Rhode Island.

Thanks for the article. Weirdly, my son in particular has a super developed sense of justice that gets him acting impatient and stubborn instead of acting emphatic. In elementary school, he'd get on his high horse, decide something was dangerous, (like allowing small children to play 'snake' with the computer's electric cord,) make a big fuss out of concern for safety, start yelling, and end up in the principal's office.

I called 'foul' because there is a world of difference between 'many' and 'most.' I love reading Lovecky's work, and she could be talking about so many people I know, but that still doesn't make a 'most.' I think that this is a subset of 'gifted doesn't mean gifted across the board' Emotional Intelligence is like Math in that way - some gifted kids are great in Math, and some other aren't. Same with Spelling blush

(which may not be all that helpful on this forum anyway, since my experience tends to be with family and friends who are probably in the HG area, but likely not hitting IQ's of 160 or not PG, which is no doubt an entirely different thing).
LOL! ((eyeroll))HG is plenty intelligent for this pond! I think your experience is going to continue to be valuable here dear, I, personally identify as 'Low HG overall, with a PG spike in 'reading between the lines.' I will call foul when I see one, though, and I wish you had been there when I joined the Davidson lists 5 years ago. I was used to speaking very imprecisely, because everyone else in my real life would always 'smile and nod' when I spoke anyway. It took me a few 'fouls' to get the hang of the idea that people were actually reading 'exactly' what I was saying. I wouldn't have embarrassed you publically, except for all the Parents of gifted kids who just aren't like that. Just like if you had said: 'Most profoundly gifted kids learn to read before age 3.' KWIM?

I too keep thinking about homeschooling, and if you had asked me 3 months ago what I thought of homeschoolers, I would have had some very very serious concerns.
Cat
This open mindedness is exactly what I love and value about this community, and I hope you keep posting your experiences and what you are reading and what you are speculating - just signpost for us, OK? To me, when I'm walking around with egg on my face - that means I'm really living!

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com