"Most gifted kids are highly compassionate and patient with others, but the ones I know who are arrogant (not saying yours is at all, I actually think he is just sad right now) are really and truly intolerable. It is really our job to help them engage with the world in a balanced way.
"Cat

Opps Cat - over the line here! Or do you have references for above?"

Hi Grinity,

First, thanks for your amazing post - I need to spend some time thinking on the shame vs. guilt issue, and I think you got to the core of what I was trying (rather inelegantly) to say, which was simply, that in this case, I think a school change will make a world of difference, but if it doesn't resolve some of the issues, particularly the social issues, then I think it is important to try to help in that area. In particular, I was thinking that for a child who may have difficulty reading other's emotions (including intellectual peers and chronological peers), it might be helpful to have some assessment done, since that could indicate some other issues.

As for references re: the above, I was thinking about this at the time: http://www.sengifted.org/articles_s...tInGiftedChildrenMoralSensitivity.shtml. I didn't realize it was considered a myth, so I will definitely look at the Ruf article, I am the first to admit I have a lot to learn in this area (even about my own son - which by the way, thanky you for your post). And I will admit that I may be very incorrect in connecting patience with compassion - to me they are related, but I can definitely see how that is purely based on my own experiences (which may not be all that helpful on this forum anyway, since my experience tends to be with family and friends who are probably in the HG area, but likely not hitting IQ's of 160 or not PG, which is no doubt an entirely different thing).

I too keep thinking about homeschooling, and if you had asked me 3 months ago what I thought of homeschoolers, I would have had some very very serious concerns.

Cat