Originally Posted by Breakaway4
Courtney,

Your son sounds a bit like mine in terms of sensory issues etc. Also in K I remember getting those report cards with all "grade levels" (except for some behavioral issues due to the sensory stuff). I was very disappointed because I felt a report card should reveal some information about my child's academics. Finding out he could count and recognize letters was less than satisfying.

My children will be bringing home their report cards in a few days and I expect more of the same for my DS even now in fourth grade. My daughter who is MG in first grade but in a mixed 1/2 classroom will have a report card that more accurately reflects her abilities.

I will say that the public schools around here want nothing to do with accelerations or grade skips. We got lucky however, for first grade DS was enrolled in a Catholic school which I chose mainly for class size (only 8-9 kids per grade).
After about three weeks the school came to me and strongly urged me to let him skip up to second grade. That would never have happened in public school. Who knew the Catholic school would be so progressive? I also think the class size helped because it really made him stand out as more than a bit different.

Excuse the rambling, my point really is that now is the time to look into all the available schools in your area and see where they stand on gifted education/acceleration/skips etc. Talk to the principals and discuss your child and find out what options are out there before you get too far in DS's school career.

In the meantime, think about what your DS might need in to keep him intersted and engaged in class. (If he is busy learning the sensory stuff will calm down a bit). Go into your meeting with a plan. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Thanks! I'm looking into some options. Only problem is we live in one of the best school districts but it only has 3 schools this year all K-8. The neighboring city has 3 school districts but from everything I've heard they aren't very good at all. There is a charter school there but not sure if it would be a good 'fit' for DS.

I'm seriously considering homeschooling him if they can't get a good plan in place for next year. He likes school but if things don't change I'm not sure that will really continue for long.