Thanks for sharing your experience, Cathy. It's going to put a big dent in the finances around here too to send ds to Montessori, but we really feel like we need to give it a shot. We, too, have researched a lot of schools, and this just seems perfect for our son. The great thing about homeschooling the first half of tis school year is that I've learned so much about ds, and I know that if Montessori doesn't work out, I CAN hs! Don't get me wrong; it's a challenge, but I know I can do it if we need to. We were able to choose the teacher, and she seems perfect for my ds. She gets him, quirks and all, and she recognizes his abilities. We, too, feel that we are set for the next 3 years if all goes well. We'll reasses along the way, and if it ever stops working, we'll find another solution. I really want ds to be challenged, and it's necessary for him to stay interested and engaged, but I also want him to find his love of learning again and revel in the freedom to choose his own path. The Montessori school will give him that opportunity, and I think that will do wonders for his confidence. I honestly feel that the rigid private school he was in squashed his self-esteem and confidence because he could never voice an opinion, share a thought, or make choices for himself. I'm not sure I ever see my ds in a traditional school setting. If we are lucky enough for Montessori to work through 6th grade, I have no problem homeschooling again, althought I might rely on some kind virtual school. Homeschooling has made me see that there are alternatives to traditional school and that traditional classrooms are not for all students. My ds doesn't have to be like everyone else; he is who he is (although I could do without the temper tantrums). : )