Well, ds didn't start the classes at the small private school. We decided to wait. The more dh and I talk about the Montessori school, the more we're convincved it's worth a try. After spending just two hours there, ds is again realizing how much he misses being with other children. I know there are coops, etc., but I've not had much luck finding any group that meets consistently; not to mention the two I've tried to join have not responded to my request, and it's been 7 weeks. As you probably know by now, I am not a patient person.

Grinity, we like the idea of trying out the Montessori school beginning in January. This way, we're risking 5 months rather than a full school year. The school also really encourages parent participation, and you're welcome to come to the classroom anytime you want. I like that because at the last school, even though I was the homeroom parent, I (nor other parents) were welcomed into the classroom. They looked at it like a distraction, even when they had parties. I like to go and help, get to know people, and that way I have an idea of what's REALLY going on in the classroom.

So, today, we're thinking it's worth a shot. Ds is on board, and dh and I felt really good about the school when visiting. As for the couple of bad reviews, dh thinks it boils down to a couple of disgruntled parents. Like he said, no school is going to be perfect for every child. The only way to know is to try it out.

Do you think any damage is done to gifted children, or children in general, when their school environment changes multiple times? I'm tyring to see this Montessori experience as a possible fit "for now" because I've noticed that many gifted children move around a lot from school to school/setting to setting through their school years. I feel this need to find something that will work for him FOREVER, hence homeschooling. But, what if there's something that works better for him RIGHT NOW? What do you think is more important?

Darn it! Wordy as usual!
Jen