Originally Posted by hkc75
I was just informed that my DS7 would be bumped up into the GT LA program at his school. They decided that his reluctance to write would not be a problem. ... They agreed to allow me to transcribe his assignments and he would then be expected to copy and edit. So I was just wondering at what age reluctant writers start to write and how much should I push this with him? Anyone have stories of this?

That is wonderful! DS13 turned one corner in 3rd grade when he had to write a paragraph for every letter of the alphabet. The first letters he would try to edit/critique/rough draft all at the same time, with lots of frustration and low results. Everything looked 'too babyish' to him. But by the end of the alphabet, he finally 'saw the light' and got giddy so he would toss out any old thing. Looking for a 'Winter Subject' that started with the letter Y I remember that we were both having fits of giggles. 'Yule Logs are hard to find in Jewish homes....' something like that. I see that as a big step forward in DS overcoming his writting reluctance. The next year he learned to type and the rest is history.

I think that when your son has something that he wants to say, and an audience to hear it, he'll want to write. Maybe encourage him to compose letters to the local newspaper on his perspectives?

Best Wishes,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com