Originally Posted by Trinity
Isa,
What language does she speak "best?" Has her Dutch caught up to her Spanish and German?

The best by far is Spanish, followed by German and then Dutch which is catching up but has still to improve. She understands a lot but lacks 'active' vocabulary when speaking.

Can you tell if she thinks in a particular language?

She thinks in all three languages but the most common is Spanish.

Are the books they read in class in Dutch, and what level are they? Deep enough to be interesting?
The books that I saw in her class look to me deep enough. That DD likes them, that I do not know. I think I will ask the teacher for a list of books that her private Dutch teacher can read at home with her. If they are too simple, I can always use them for D(16months) smile.

At our daycare, when DS was 3 or 4, there was a big deal made of "Dr. Suess Week" - and every day the parents came and read a story. Of course I let DS choose, and he chose "Horton Hears a Who." (...)
Afterwards the teacher thanked me, and it slipped out in conversation that the other parents had read, "Hop on Pop" "One Fish, Two Fish." It just didn't make sense to me that a parent would "waste" time reading such a simple book to a child.

I just went to amazon to see an excerpt of these books ... ehem... One fish two fish is the kind of book I read DD when she was 1ish!

When she was two I read to her the stories of Frog and Toad of Arnold Lobel (translated in Spanish of course) and "La visita de Osito" (http://www.amazon.com/Visita-Osito-...mp;s=books&qid=1196873798&sr=1-2).
She really loved them.

Now I do not read her (almost) at all frown

Hope that helps,
Trinity

Oh yes!

Thanks!

Isa